Saturday, October 15, 2011

Floating Table- On the other side



The other half of the former dining table was transformed into a lovely emerald table which still hovered in the traditional zone. I wanted something more vibrant for the remaining piece. I still had some teal/aqua left over from a dresser I did a few weeks ago, and thought it would be perfect to perk up the look. Picked up some "Pitch Black" glaze from General Finishes purchased at the The Wooden Chair. I asked those poor ladies at least 25 questions regarding colors and such.. I swear they must think I'm crazy. The other glaze I use all the time is so fantastic to work with that I wanted to venture out and see what the black would do for the blue. 



I had envisioned this to be very textured. I adore the look of a dry brushed piece that looks as though its rough and textured. It creates this effect by toning down a color and adding depth. I crossed my fingers and said a little prayer before gently pulling the brush across for the first stoke. Less is more when you are trying to recreate this technique. Barely touch the paint with the tip of the brush. Tap it on a cloth to make sure it's "dry" doesn't hurt. Start on the back of the table or on the back leg to get acquainted with the motions. 


This picture above is the inside corner of the back leg. These floating table have three legs in a triangular form.  It really doesn't stand out too much when the table was still together, but once you take them apart it sticks out dramatically.


This is going to look just dynamite up against a wall! I've had lots of compliments thus far on it. I have a feeling I'll be doing this color combo again. Come to think of it... I have a hutch I've been pondering on...(wheels turning).  



No comments:

Post a Comment